Saturday, September 5, 2009

Reflections after an attempted suicide.


Reflections after an attempted suicide.

Not many memories are as powerful as that of the day when you tried to kill yourself.

To suicide.

To set yourself free.

To get away from it all.

To move into absolute silence.

2nd December 2002 I attempted to do just that.

Tired of a spirit shattered by failures.

Tired of a mind ripped by torture.

Tired of a life poisoned by pain.

When one sinks so deep into the pit of frustration, depression and humiliation, what other way is left?

So the answer was clear to me.

So on 2nd December 2002

At 2’O clock in the darkness.

In the freezing temperatures of Dublin

I decided to end it all.

Dublin was a sinister silent sleeping city

And my grave.

All alone in the blackness

I walked 17 miles

Right up to the highway

The Icy wind

The bone chilling coldness

The wet noise as my feet took me ahead

My face pale white

My teeth chattering

My fingers cold and numb

I stood at my destination.

The highway of death.

The lone road of going to a point of no return.

And there a light shone on my face

The angel of death

The fast moving truck

The final destination

The math was very simple.

A monstrous machine of madness moving at 100 km per hour

A diabolical demon of darkness that darkened everything at sight

A icy cold night that made everything slip its grasp

And there I stood in the corner

Blinded with its light

Knowing fully well that this was the moment

The moment that would end it all

The moment that would free me forever

The moment that would break those chains of pain

Closer and closer it came

Bigger and Bigger it became

Scarier and Scarier I felt

And there it came

A few more seconds

A few more breaths

A few more…and it was all over.

After 9 months of repeated blows both mentally, emotionally and spiritually

I could no longer handle it

I had failed beyond anything else

And I could not imagine going back home and showing my face of failure.

Rage welled up inside me

Bitter and Betrayal burned into my heart

It had to end.

It had to

And it would

I had left home with pride

I had left home with happiness

I had left home with hope

But now I was wasted.

So there I stood.

Just one more step ahead

And it was all over…

And I picked up my foot ready to take that step forward….

And then it happened…..

For the strangest reason

For which I could and would never be able to explain

It happened.

Just as I was about to take that step

I felt someone scratch my back…

Right from the time I was a child

From the time I was a baby

My mom always scratched my back

To put me to sleep

To make me feel comfy

To let me know how much she loved me

A ritual of love that continued well over my adult life

And at that moment

When I was freezing cold

When I was absolutely cold

When I was numb with cold

I felt my back being scratched.

And instead of moving that foot front….

I took that step….back

I turned around

And searched, screamed and sought my mom

The scratch felt so real

I actually searched for my mom

Crying

Weeping

Sobbing

I screamed her name

But no one was there

As the truck zoomed off

I lay there alone in the darkness

With rain, wind and mud slapping across my body…

I broke down and I wept bitterly

Wept my heart out

Wept all those 9 months of hurt

As minutes and minutes of silence went by

As tears and tears of pain poured by

As sobs and sobs of hurt washed by

I picked myself up from the dirt

And walked silently back home

I realized one thing

One small thing….

At that moment

In my deepest darkest most desperate hour

He was there for me.

He was there.

And in the words not said

In the exchanges not made

In the presence not shown

He made me realize

That I was here for a purpose

And he would not let go of me

He would not give up on me

He would not let me die

Until I proved and lived and breathed my destiny.

You see

Not many memories are as powerful as that of the day when you tried to kill yourself.

To suicide.

To set yourself free.

To get away from it all.

To move into absolute silence.

And in that most powerful moment

I realized

There was a God

And when I needed him the most,

He would be there for me.

He would be there.

May be you don’t believe in him.

May be you don’t believe in this.

May be you don’t think he exists.

That’s not important.

What is important for me is this

I experienced him in my life and I know for a fact….

That my God loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Loy Machedo Award-Winning Speaker & Trainer Cell +971-50-631-85-19 Facebook - Loy Anthony Machedo Linkedin - http://ae.linkedin.com/pub/loy-machedo/25/863/92 Chat - loymachedo@yahoo.com | loymachedo@hotmail.com Email - theinvisiblestring@yahoo.co.in Blog - http://machedomax.blogspot.com Twitter –http://twitter.com/loymachedo Website - www.loymachedo.com Facebook Fan Page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=563183159#!/pages/Loy-Machedo/154673514564472

Search This Blog

Followers